Saturday, September 10, 2005

Open Source FPS

In my constant quest for THE FPS - or at least A fps - to put in the same category as quakes and UTs, I recently tried warsow, an open source fps.
I was not aware of such open source projects, so I searched for others, and I found cube and nexuiz. Both (all three in fact) seem to be in a quite advanced stage of development.
I tried those three.
Cube was recently updated, and new servers weren't listed a few days ago, so I put this one aside. Warsow had very few players a week ago, aside two.
I went to Nexuiz then, which is a based on the quake II engine, very advanced graphics, but quite slow on my computer. On which far cry runs full tilt. I got around 10 to 30 fps with low settings, with some lag in multiplayer, too much for comfy play. I kept it for further tests, but at the end of the line this one is out.

Next: warsow
By then, warsow had had some advertising in germany, a dozen servers where up, full of gamers. This one is also based on the quake II engine, with very simple graphics (reminds me of GL Tron), faster, with dodge style movements, half a dozen weapons (gun, shotgun, rocket, grenades, snipe), very fun and very fast.

But not as fast as Cube.
This one seems to be finished, as the writer has moved to building a next generation engine. This one has it’s own 3d engine, which is currently 2d (as in duke nukem 3d, doesn’t mean it’s all flat, but you can’t have overlapping floors). And it’s incredibly fast. The gameplay is also very, very fast, too fast for me. I tried this one online just tonight for a few minutes, and it wasn’t as fun as warsow – at least for me, but you should give it a try two.

I’ll keep both warsow and cube, looking forward to the next generation of cube, named sauerbraten, available as a beta right now. This one is a full 3D engine in all the three dimensions, with a very interesting approach of map editing.

I didn't mention OS : warsow is win32 or linux, cube is win32 or linux or mac, nexuiz is win32.

See ya.

download warsow
download cube
download nexuiz 1.2.1

No comments: