Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Modding

I've been looking around for W40K-DOW mods, and I found a Dawn of Squirels project.

I say project rather than mod because it seems it was a lot of talk without real modding.
Impressive how several hundreds posts lead to... nothing.

Well, If you are interested they are still looking for a leader, modelers, animators, for... her... people to do the work. Last posts are from mid august this year.

I've done some modding years ago, when I was still a student with time to kill. A mod for quake 3 named... brownie. (I'll put it in binaries as soon as I find it in my archives)
I started fiddling around with the autoaim mod, which was quite difficult to find and didn't work. Have no fear, it's blocked by pure servers. Then I went to modding weapons : bouncing plasma gun (couldn't get rid of the grenade bouncing noise though), lock mode for rockets, heat seeking rockets, and point-of-view rockets, which changed direction according to the owner's viewing direction. You could fire above a wall, then look down and the rocket would go down behind the wall.

This experience was great, it was my first real occasion to play with c++, and to do some code digging, reading pages of code searching for THE place where to put the line of code to do what I wanted.

Reminds me of that photo you found when searching for autoaim : a video camera aimed at a screen, a bunch of electronics and a mouse traped in servomotors.

Later.

No comments: